FIVE TIPS TO INCREASE PROFITABILITY IN YOUR CAFÉ
We love working with cafés to increase profits, keep customers happy, and help café owners create a successful thriving business for themselves. We thought we’d share some of our favourite “go-to” tips on how to increase profits in your café:
1. MARGIN. Before you focus on getting more customers in the door, work on selling higher margin products to your existing customers. Put products with the best margins at the top of the display cabinet. Always ask the customer if they would like a double shot or bigger size coffee, and suggest a fresh croissant or muffin to increase units per sale.
2. QUALITY. No customer is going to come back for a bad coffee or a dry muffin. Use the best quality coffee and milk, and ensure nothing gets sent to the customer that isn’t perfect. Make fresh food items and display them in a unique way. “Wow” your customers with beautiful coffee and food so they will show the world on social media with their photos.
3. TRAINING. Everyone knows good staff is GOLD…and good staff is directly related to training. Ask your suppliers to drop by and offer some training. Most coffee roasters will offer free barista training…use it! Now for the magic word to get the best from your staff: PRAISE. When your staff do a great job, even if it’s something that seems insignificant, praise them. Make sure your praise is genuine; your staff will love you for it and work even harder for you.
4. FOCUS on SALES and MARKETING. Spend eight hours every week on sales and marketing. Pick your slowest day, put your best staff on, and hit the streets. Work with local businesses (tell them about this month’s specials or your new menu), ensure your customers can find you online, and lastly, talk to your customers online – respond to their online reviews and social media. Review your sales and see what higher ticket items you could offer for sale, or simply have a day to plan and reflect on what is working and what isn’t.
5. ASK. “Ask and you shall receive”! Give your best customers a free coffee and sit down with them and ASK. Ask them how you could make their experience even better. Ask your employees how you can make their workplace better. Ask your coffee roaster how you can make your coffee the best in your area.
I wish you every success in growing your business. If you’re looking for a new coffee supplier who will work with you to increase the profitability of your café, give us a ring or drop us an email. We’d love to chat.
1300 52 55 99